Monday, March 19, 2012

Act 1

     In Act 1 of a Doll's House we are introduced to a variety of characters. Some who need to really learn a little self-control. At the beginning of the story it shows Nora coming home after shopping.  Torvald comes in and jokes around with her. But he not once called her by her name, he called her pet names. To me that is demeaning to Nora’s character. Torvald says to Nora “It's a sweet little bird, but it gets through a terrible amount of money. You wouldn't believe how much it costs a man when he's got a little song-bird like you!” Torvald says that to Nora because she loves to squander money. When Ms. Linde comes into the story Nora says how she wants to hear everything about her but she keeps talking about herself, which is very self-righteous. She says to Ms. Linde “Yes - someday, perhaps, after many years, when I am no longer as pretty as I am now. Don't laugh at me! I mean, of course, when Torvald is no longer as devoted to me as he is now; when my dancing and dressing-up and reciting have palled on him then it may be a good thing to have something in reserve.” She says this after she tells Ms. Linde about the secret she’s keeping.

                When Krogstad comes into the story Nora becomes very nervous. He’s blackmailing her by making her tell her husband not to fire him or if she doesn’t he’ll tell Torvald about the note. But Nora tells him about her forged signature which could possibly ruin her life. She says, “Hasn't a daughter the right to protect her dying father from worry and anxiety? Hasn't a wife the right to save her husband's life? I don't know much about the law, but I'm quite certain that it must say somewhere that things like that are allowed.”  For her amortization she has to pay it to Krogstad. While we advance into the book the plot will thicken.

I commented on Caffaro's, Ivan's, and Amaya's.

1 comment:

azmar Kemp said...

I agree Nora olny cares about herself and forgets to pay attention to others.